Monday, July 12, 2010

I can smell it...

I sat up in my seat, "are we getting close?" I asked my Dad.
"Yup we're on the outskirts of Doney Park."
"Thought so...I can smell it." Big breath in "I've missed it."

Flagstaff isn't what you'd expect. Which is perhaps why it's pretty perfect for me. When you tell people you live in Arizona they always ask how I stand the heat. I usually just smile shrug my shoulders and say "it's not that hot" and change the subject. But I guess I'm just a brat like that :) If you come to Flagstaff Arizona expecting it to be full of Catus, tumble weed, dust devils, and bare lands...you're in for a pleasant surprise. Although you can still find that :)




Welcome Home!

It's my favorite time of the year! The mornings are some what cool, in Bellemont there is usually a slight breeze. Then mid morning it warms up. Not too much though. You can smell what's coming next. The clouds roll in and it starts to pour! You can feel the thunder and the lightning is beautiful!And it's not a cold rain it's a cool one. Just the right temperature to feel perfect as


it hits your skin and sends a slight chill through it. A few hours later it's dry again. Maybe a little over cast. It's Monsoon season! It started last Thursday! And I love it!
This picture was taken just outside of Flag. I got it off a "how to be safe in a Monsoon" website HA HA HA some people...

Now for the fires! This year was pretty crazy. We always have fires but this year was a little extreme...okay a lot. There are 6 helicopters in the world that drop water on fires...four of them were here, that gives you an idea. It burned well at least 8800 acres. Driving through Flag you can tell. Some of our mountains are just pure black. My Mom told me that there is so much ash on one of the mountains that Doney Park (on the outskirts of Flag) has been told when it starts raining they have 15 minutes to evacuate their homes. The ash is so thick up there they think with the first rain it will just all come down. Mom says that people are nervous to leave their homes at all because if it starts raining when they're gone how will they grab all of their packed most important belongs? I'm glad I don't live in Doney. I don't think I could live under the stress of 15 minutes. It is really amazing though driving down the streets there are hundreds of signs thanking the firefighters. It's so amazing that men and women just stop what they're doing and come to little ol' Flagstaff to save our town. We really do live in a great country!

So close your eyes, take a deep breath and let the smell of pine, and rain seep in.

1 comment:

  1. WE NEED TO HANG OUT PRONTO!!! AND I CAN"T MAKE THE FONT ANY BIGGER TO STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS I'M TALKING LIKE THIS WEEK WE SHOULD!!! I am planning on being busy friday and this weekend (Dom moves into his own place and if things work out i'd like to be available to help) but i want to see you so bad it hurts me so we really need to hang out like breakfast or something PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! and i totally knew those weren't your own pictures while reading this because the mountains weren't black!! i thought about you today while it rained!

    ReplyDelete